Keeping Us Connected
As we navigate these uncharted territories during COVID-19, we think it's as important as ever to stay connected with our friends, family and guests around the world. Since we can't spend these warm Spring days together at the resort, we're bringing a taste of the resort to you - wherever you may be. Below you'll find treasured family recipes from our Chefs, must-read books from our Sales & Marketing team, and other tidbits to help us stay connected.
Personal Wine List
Signature Restaurant Sommelier Adam Spencer shares his go-to grocery store wine picks - complete with tasting notes - to help you spice up your personal wine collection.
Follow @lomadevida on Instagram and tune in for weekly 10-minute yoga flows with @theashtangaagent plus at-home spa tips and exclusive product offerings.
Through times of hardship, San Antonio has a way of coming together. Consider support the local non-profits that need assistance should you wish to pay it forward.
#GoLater Travel Inspiration
Now is the perfect time to start brainstorming vacation ideas so that when the time is right, you'll know exactly what you want to do and see. Texans love the Hill Country, but non-Texas may not know just how special our neck of the woods is. Here, Texas wine is at its finest, wildflowers are their brightest, and getaways are at their most serene. Experience one of the most underrated destinations in the Texas state, whether you’re traveling with family or a significant other. Here are a few ideas to help you plan for a Hill Country getaway.
One of our favorite things about the resort is how much beautiful nature and wildlife is just steps from the front lobby. Through activties like The Naturalist Program and our guided nature hikes, kids can get out and discover all that the Texas Hill Country has to offer. Click the buttons below to download fun games for your kids to play in their own backyards.
Calling all young artists! Now's the chance to turn your talents into a relaxing family vacation. Download, print, and color our Texas-inspired coloring sheet, then enter your masterpiece in our coloring contest for a chance to win a $150 La Cantera Resort gift card. We'll accept entries between May 1, 2020 - May 28, 2020 at 12pm CST. We'll announce our winner on Monday, June 1, 2020.
How to Enter / Contest Rules:
- Select the coloring sheet for your kid's age group (teenagers over 13, we love ya but this one is just for the little ones)
- Print and color the coloring sheet, then scan or snap a pic of your finished work and upload it in an Instagram post using #lacanterakidsclub and @lacanteraresort. Don't have Instagram? Attach a photo of your finished as a comment on this Facebook post.
- Our recreation team will review all submissions (last day to enter is May 28, 2020 at 12pm CST) and we will announce a winner on Monday, June 1, 2020.
- The winner will receive a $150 La Cantera gift card mailed to them
- To make sure our contest is fair for everyone, we will request that the winner also send us a photo of the artist holding up their winning print.
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils only, please!
FOR THE KIDS: DIY LAVA LAMP
If you’ve ever stared at a lava lamp, you know how mesmerizing it is. So imagine how excited your kids will be to make their own! All that’s required is vegetable oil, water, food coloring, and Alka-Seltzer tablets.
How does it work? Water and oil don’t mix, and oil doesn’t change color but water, when mixed with food coloring, does! The effervescent tablets react with water to supply the bubbles, which rise to the top of the glass, then pop and fall back to the bottom. Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what fun this science experiment for kids is!
What You Do:
- Fill the bottle or jar most of the way with vegetable oil.
- Fill the rest of with water. The water will sink to the bottom under the oil.
- Add a few drops of food coloring; your choice of color. The food coloring is water-based, so it will also sink and color the water that is now at the bottom of the flask.
- Break an alka-seltzer tablet into a few small pieces, and drop them in the flask one at a time.
- Watch your lava lamp erupt into activity! As the reaction slows down, simply add more alka-seltzer!
FOR THE KIDS: DIY CLIMBING RAINBOW
Quarantine crazy IS a thing! Check out this easy and colorful water science experiment to brighten up even the drabbest day!
With just a few common household items, you can watch colors blend to create your own beautiful climbing rainbow. Setup is quick and the results are different every time!
What you’ll need:
- Sandwich sized plastic food container
- Paper towels
How to get your CLIMBING RAINBOW:
- Cut a strip of paper towel approximately 2×5 inches in size.
- On a short edge, use markers to make a strip of blocks in the colors of the rainbow. (You can this opportunity to talk about ROYGBIV. Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet)
- Let the marker dry. (If the paper towel is still wet with the ink the experiment does not work as well!)
- Gently pour water into the bottom of the container and watch what happens!
- As the paper towel absorbs the water, the capillary action will carry the water along with the marker ink up the paper towel. After the colors climb up or meet in the middle, you have your very own rainbow!
From the Kitchen
Bring a taste of La Cantera to your home kitchen with recipes from across the resorts restaurants. If you're feeling creative, enter our SweetFire Kitchen recipe contest and your dish may end up on the summer menu at SweetFire Kitchen! Read on for contest details and recipes straight from La Cantera chefs to you.